Quilt Con 2017

by - 1:31 PM

This month, I attended QuiltCon for the very first time in Savannah, Georgia. I was so excited planning for this trip, I was afraid I set my expectations too high but I was blown away by the event. So many amazing quilts, great lectures and curated vendors.




Melody Miller

Thursday

9am: Minimalist Quilts with Season Evans
We had a lecture at 9 with Season Evans. Season's lecture was Minimalist Quilts: From Traditional to Modern. Her lecture was very direct, which I loved, and she talked about Modern Art, Amish Quilts, and Minimalist Quilts. After Season's lecture, we had a short break before our next lecture at 11, so we went to see the vendors.


10am: First stop: Cotton and Steel
This was first on my list. I had to hear about the new Cotton and Steel secret product, Cotton and Steel Fan Club. And yes we signed up, without a second thought. I even texted my husband before the floor opened to tell him I was 99% sure I was about to make a large purchase. Devon, the chief communications officer for Cotton and Steel helped us join and shared in our excitement. (I'm still excited, a week later writing this post.) I was also so thrilled to get a strawberry tote full of selvages and scraps. I had been eyeing Kim Kight's strawberries tote on Cotton and Steel's Instagram feed for months.



10:30am: Beyond Patters with Ellen Baker
Ellen Baker's presentation, Beyond Patterns: Explore Your Creativity with Fabric was also amazing. Her presentation was colorful and visually inspiring. Her 8 Tips for Creative Experimentation are very actionable and she provided a lot of insight on ways to apply them.


5pm: Improvise! with Sherri Lynn Wood
I really enjoyed Sherri's Improvise! Setting Limits to Find the Sweet Spot of Flow. I'm not really into improv quilts, so I picked this lecture to help stretch my appreciation of improv. I liked the quilts Sherri showed, which were not wild crazy quilts, but actually had form to them and were more planned out.




Jessica Darling

Friday

10am: First stop: Cotton and Steel
Yes, Cotton and Steel again, but not for the last time. This time we didn't have a lecture to run off too, so I had some time to chat with Melody Miller. I asked her for all their secrets and she told me everything -- just kidding. We did nerd out a little about design and color. It was amazing, she's fantastic and so kind to tell me a little about their design process.

Noon: Wing It! with Anna Boenish
Anna's presentation Wing It! Letting a Quilt Evolve took and art approach to modern quilting. She discussed her process, starting with a general plan for a quilt and checking in often with the quilt laid out on a design wall/floor/bed, then making changes. She also gave some fantastic tips on how to create templates from paper or taping out the size of the quilt on the floor and filling it in as you go.

3pm: Integrating Tradition with Heather Jones
Heather Jones' style is something I identify closely with, but a smaller scale. I like "single-block" quilts and really enjoyed how she took modern quilts and compared them to traditional quilts. 'Our modern quilts are our grandmother's quilts' (paraphrased quote from the presentation.)



Anna Maria Horner


Quilt Show

"Bling" Katherine Jones



I thought this year's show was amazing! "Bling" by Katherine Jones completely stole the show and was a clear winner for Best in Show. (Next week's blog post will take a deeper look into Katherine's quilt and the principles of design. Sign up for my newsletter to get a link in your inbox.)




"Autumn Hours" Daisy Aschehoug




My favorite (not including Best in Show) was "Autumn Hours" by Daisy Aschehoug (@antstosugar), member of the Baton Rouge Modern Quilt Guild. She won 3rd place in Modern Traditionalism.

"I used the traditional hourglass block to explore ideas about contrasting aspects of fall-- cool blue skies and chilly nights next to the lingering warmth of the soil and fiery orange in the turning leaves."



Block Printing with Andover Fabrics

Trends

There was a shift in the style of Improvisation quilts, with an emphasis on planned improvisation. This year the Improvisation category really moved away from crazy randomness and into more of a design-conscious realm focusing on form and negative space, almost taking a step towards Minimalism. Minimalism and very distinctive color schemes ruled the show.
Less popular this year, Statement Quilts. I saw fewer pieced words this year, but more quilted words. I think there were less than 5 quilts with pieced words as the focus of the quilt. I did enjoy this quilt on cursive.








You May Also Like

0 comments

Comments system